Sunday, September 6, 2009

ANTICIPATING

These entries are from the few weeks I had at home until I left for training. Tony was my boss at the time. I worked at Land Mark realty in the North End of Boston.

February 11, 1993

I still can't believe I am leaving for training in a three weeks. Tim is over the top excited for me, which bothers me because he knows that I am going to have to move and I don't think he plans on moving with me. I have know idea what to think. I asked him if he would move to Denver with me and he said, no! He just keeps telling me, "I'm so happy for you!" Are we breaking up? I don't get him. I also told my boss, Tony today and she said, " Oh, my God! That's perfect!" That is the perfect job for you!" I guess she doesn't think me working for her is the perfect job for me. I don't know why I feel bad, it's true, I've been working in real estate for six months now and still haven't sold anything. I made so much money off the rentals, I wish that lasted. Well, I'm not going to let them get to me, I have way to much to do. I have to find my High School Diploma....who knows where that is. I have to fill out a gazillion forms for a government background check. The airline does a ten year background check, ummm, I was thirteen ten years ago. What do they want to know? Who I babysat? And, they already sent me stuff to study. I have to know the airport city codes before I even get there. I'm heading to my Moms tomorrow to find my HS Diploma.

February 17, 1993

I guess it is official, Tim and I are giving up our apartment. The lease will be up in two months. I'll be away at training which means I've had to start packing. I started today and I am freaked out by what I found. That psychic, Katrina that I went to two years ago, well, I found the tape. Freaky! I can't believe I thought she was such a rip off. I left there thinking she didn't get anything right...well I couldn't have been more wrong! I played the tape while I was packing up my apartment today and the beginning really didn't say much but then all of a sudden it caught my attention:

Katrina: "I see you going away, packing and unpacking. Then going away again, packing and unpacking." Have you ever thought about being a flight attendant?"

me: "Noooooo!"

Katrina: "Well, I see you doing this. you are definitely traveling and you will go to some sort of training, six weeks in length."

Guess how long training is? Six weeks!! How freaky is that?

February 24, 1993

Found my high school diploma...finally. In a box of crap. In my mothers basement.

February 27, 1993

Tim is going to move to the Cape for the summer and work at the coffee shop his sister is opening up. Guess he's not planning on moving with me. Hmmmm.

March 2, 1993

I'm packed and ready to go....six more days.

March 8, 1993

I'm here! I am at the hotel and I start training tomorrow. I almost didn't make it! I really almost didn't make it. I got to the airport and realized I didn't have my new passport wallet. The wallet that has all of my I.D. I couldn't let that stop me, I would lose my chance of being a flight attendant for sure. Tim and my mom were with me and I thought about sending one of them to get my wallet but we didn't have time. I asked a female gate agent for help, I told her my wallet was stolen. ( I had to!) She was not too nice and I don't think she was going to help me. I was about to give up when my mom said, "go ask the male gate agent, he'll help you!" When I gave her a look, even Tim said, "yeah she's right go to the guy."

It worked, he gave me my ticket. My mom fed-exed my ID and passport after she left the airport!

It was hard to say goodbye. Tim said, "I think I've been so happy for you, I hadn't thought about how this is going to affect me." Ughhh, what have I been trying to say????

I got on the plane and sat next to two other girls going to training. Marcy and Jill. Marcy, who became my roommate was sitting at the window, Jill was in the middle and I sat on the aisle. I know I was wearing a blazer and maybe my face looks chunky but I was surprised when Marcy looked at Jill and said, "I know you're not worried about the weight requirement, but are you?" (directed at me!) Ummm, no! I'm 117 lbs and at my height they allow you to be 138! Well when we got to our hotel room and I changed my clothes, she then said, "Wow, you're so skinny, I can't believe I said that to you earlier!" Phewww, I thought I looked fat!

I can't believe I am here, this is too exciting! First test tomorrow!

*Note to younger self: You've come a long way baby! Did you really need all that luggage? If you look closely you can see another full size suitcase to the left....what you can't see is another huge duffel bag, which was filled with just shoes. Love the mis-match too...lovely! I'm proud to say you can now do a week anywhere with just your one roller: )

No comments:

Post a Comment